The integration of the leadership role with professional nursing is the focus of this course. Theories of leadership, management, and organizations are analyzed and their application to health care agencies is explored. The related concepts of power, change, decision-making, budgeting, marketing, and ethics are examined for their contribution to the management process. The importance of collaboration, accountability, and advocacy to the leadership role will be stressed.
- Integrate concepts related to leadership into the professional nursing role.
- Analyze the philosophy, goals, and organizational structure of a health care system in relationship to the delivery of quality health care.
- Compare selected theories of leadership, management, and organizations in relation to health care agencies.
- Compare leadership styles through discussion and analysis.
- Discuss how the management process is used to promote the delivery of optimal health care.
- Demonstrate accountability, advocacy, and collaboration in the management of patient care.
- Understand the importance of personal/professional development of leadership styles and skills.