This workshop will update participants on the current state-of-the-art thinking on mechanical ventilation. Specifically, the course will
Review basic principles of mechanical ventilatory support;
Review recent advances in the evidence base for strategies of mechanical ventilatory support.
- At the conclusion of the class, the participant will be able to
- List the indications for intubation and mechanical ventilation.
- Discuss the difference between ventilation and oxygenation.
- Differentiate between the different modes of ventilation, including advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Discuss the indications for PEEP and the related complications.
- List the complications of mechanical ventilation.
- Describe the nursing assessment and care of a patient requiring mechanical ventilation.
- Review methods used for weaning a patient from mechanical ventilation.
Who should attend?
- Telemetry Nurses
- Nurse cross training for Critical Care Nursing
- Emergency Room Nurses
- ICU/CCU Nurses
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing ( Provider Number 17440), for 8 contact hours.